Monday, November 15, 2010

OOTD - Playing Dress Up

Did you ever have to dress up every day for work?  That question is almost like asking how old you are for everyone except a few people.  I did have to dress for my first two jobs, in suits.  We're talking skirts, hose, heels, jewelry the works.  In 1998 I went to work for a company that was casual and we could wear jeans.  My jobs since then have all been business casual. I do try to dress appropriately for my position and profession, so it ends up being somewhat nicer than most other folks.  However, I don't always dress professionally or conservatively (even though I probably should) because I enjoy embracing trends in an age appropriate way.  I also think female professionals can have an issue with approachability.  I want people in my company to feel like they can talk to me about their issues, and I think that if I'm too dressed up I can seem intimidating.

I have to dress professionally for certain meetings and events a few times per year.  For this particular meeting, I didn't have to get "all the way" dressed up due to the people who would be there.  I was also facing five hours round trip in the car.

It's a bit hard to see, but I opted for black work pants, a black silk ribbed sweater, blazer and scarf.  The outfit is built around flats as I had injured my foot the previous weekend. I am sporting my black patent Rockport loafers. I bought them at Marshalls several years ago but they keep going strong. I would definitely pay full price for another pair!

 Talbots petites blazer in taupe, Charter Club black silk sweater, Ann Taylor Loft "Julie" black pants and Jerry Garcia scarf.  The scarf is oblong and silk. I have it knotted at chest level with the ends hanging down.  Nails are Sonia Kashuk's Taunting Teal.  Kinda pushing the limit for a professional setting!

Do you dress professionally very often?

No comments:

Post a Comment